- Indus Valley civilization was notable for
B. expertise in bronze-casting.
- In India, religion is grounded in __, the belief in an all-pervading divine spirit.
- The classic language of ancient India was which of the following?
- The Aryans introduced or were responsible for the following:
D. all of the choices are correct (Sanskrit, caste system, and the Indian epics)
- The Mahabharata is
C. an epic.
- India’s oldest known devotional texts are the
- Hinduism is best understood by way of religious texts known as
- The joining of Atman (self) and Brahman results in which of the following?
- The Law of __ states that the collective spiritual energy gained from good deeds determines
one’s physical state in the next life.
- Ancient India developed the most rigid social hierarchical ordering system of its time, called
- China’s oldest known text is
A. The Book of Changes.
- The earliest Neolithic Chinese peoples worked to produce which of the following?
- The occupants of the “dragon throne” who represented China’s earliest kings were the __
- The __ dynasty were famous for their bureaucracies and intricate testing systems for bureaucrats.
- The most powerful personified spirits in the ancient Chinese world view were those of
B. departed ancestors.
- The Law of Karma holds that accumulated deeds
D. determine your physical state in the next life.
- In the Bhagavad-Gita, the fundamental teachings of Hinduism are expressed by the inclusion of an
episode from the epic
- In the Shang Dynasty, rulers were more similar to
A. the kings of Egypt.
- China’s oldest written text is unusual in that it contains no creation myths or stories of gods. It is called
B. I jing.
- The Dao is best defined as
D. the way.
- Daoism and meditation are compatible because the adherent to Daoism seeks
B. individual insight.
- Shang diviners heated which of these to produce cracks the priest might then read to forecast the future?
D. inscribed bones
- The ancient history of the Americas is not as easily understood as that of India and China because
D. All these answers are correct (we know of the peoples only from their artifacts, there were more varieties and numbers of cultures in the Americas, and written records were not kept).
- The power given by the gods to the Chinese rulers was called
C. Mandate of Heaven.
- Religion during the Shang Dynasty
C. honored a supreme being.
- Both India and China religions build on a respect for
A. vegetation and natural elements.
- The first Americans came to the landmass via
B. ice bridges between Alaska and Siberia.
- The most ancient American urban areas were located in which of the following modern countries?
- The “rubber people” of what is now Mexico were the